THE TRUTH IS, our teeth are amazing! Without them we wouldn’t be able to speak, eat, sing, or smile properly. We’d like to celebrate teeth by sharing some interesting dental facts you may not have known.
10 Fun Dental Facts
- If you’ve been using floss daily, by the end of the year the total length will be the perimeter of a baseball diamond!
- Because birds lack teeth, many swallow stones to help break up hard foods.
- On average, women smile 62 times a day and men only eight times. You better work on that, men!
- The average American spends 38.5 total days brushing their teeth in their lifetime.
- Only 40 percent of young people age six to 19 have had cavities in their life. That’s down from 50 percent a decade ago! #progress
- In the middle ages, people thought that a dog’s tooth boiled in wine made an excellent mouth rinse to prevent tooth decay. (I know, we didn’t believe this, either, when we read it. Sick.)
- The Egyptian plover, also known as the crocodile bird, is famous for flying into crocodile mouths and cleaning their teeth.
- Prior to the 1850s, primitive toothpastes were usually powders and contained soap and chalk.
- An obscure law in Vermont states that it is illegal for women to wear false teeth without the written permission of their husband. Crazy!
- Different animals have different amounts of teeth; armadillos have 104, pigs have 44, and humans have 32.
Another cool fact: the narwhal’s tusk Is actually a tooth!
Until we meet (blog) again….
Your Portland and Tigard pediatric dentist….Greenburg Pediatric Dentistry 🙂 See you soon in the office, we hope!